GoPro augments its already impressive action camera line with the HERO8 Black, the versatile next-generation action cam designed to capture smooth, stable footage of your latest adventure, from a simple boat trip to a wild jump-off-a-mountain ride. The HERO8 Black features updated HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization to produce smooth, gimbal-like movement at all supported frame rates, without the need for a gimbal. Additional updates include a sleeker physical design with a "folding fingers" type base for fast mounting, a redesigned battery door for quicker battery changes, a lens with twice the impact resistance as the HERO7, an optional Battery Mod for nearly 2.5x more battery life, an optional flip-up Display Mod to make viewing your frame easier, an optional LED Light Mod, and an optional Media Mod to expand your accessory possibilities.
The GoPro HERO8 Black supports up to UHD 4K video resolutions, and time-lapse, up to 1080p240 slow motion, and super-slow-motion video. Still images can be captured in up to 12MP resolution in bursts of up to 30 images per second with the updated SuperPhoto with HDR support that helps reduce blur and enhance detail in low-light situations. It also features an updated Night-Lapse function to shoot and process up to 4K time-lapses at night. The LiveBurst function allows you to record 1.5 seconds before and after your photo to give you more choices for the best frame. The lens field of view (FOV) choices have also been updated to four modes: Narrow, Linear at 24.4mm, Wide at 16.5mm, and SuperView at 15.1mm.
Like its predecessor, the HERO8 Black supports direct streaming to Facebook Live. It's also waterproof to 33', suiting it for surfing, snorkeling, and swimming activities. Separately available floats and housings are available separately for additional water support and even deeper underwater activities down to 196'. The touchscreen provides quick and easy management, but when your hands are full, the HERO8 Black understands 15 voice commands in over ten languages and accents so you can verbally control the HERO8 Black. Just shout "GoPro, take a photo" and your HERO8 will use your current settings to snap a photo, making selfies a breeze.
New Features in HERO8 Black
- Smaller, more streamlined design
- Swapping mounts and changing batteries has been made even faster
- Lens is two times more impact resistant
- Improved HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization and TimeWarp 2.0 time-lapse
- Night-lapse and LiveBurst support
- Slow motion up to 1080p240 and stability improvements
- Change easily between lens FOV with Narrow, Linear, Wide, and SuperView modes
- Media Mod option can add more lighting and audio as well as another screen
- Optional Battery Mod multiplies runtime 2.5x
- Optional Display Mod and Light Mod add more capabilities
HyperSmooth 2.0 Video Stabilization
Get gimbal-like smoothness without the bulk of a gimbal. HERO8 Black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver even smoother footage than before.
SuperPhoto with HDR
Get the best photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO8 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping, or noise reduction to optimize your shots.
TimeWarp 2.0 Video
Capture super-stabilized time-lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments.
Records 1.5 seconds before and after your still shot so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect photo, or share the brief video recorded.
Share your story live over Facebook Live while saving your streamed videos to your SD card.
4K60 Video and 12MP Photos
The camera shoots up to UHD 4K resolution video and 12MP stills.
Flip the camera to the side and capture photos and videos in portrait orientation for social media updates.
- Control your HERO8 Black hands-free with over 15 voice commands and accents like "GoPro, take a photo" and "GoPro, start recording"
- Natively waterproof down to 33' without a housing
- Slow things down to 8x to relive the moment with slow motion
- The intuitive touchscreen features three main capture modes with streamlined settings
- Frame your photos and videos in Touch Zoom by simply touching the screen (operates in select video modes)
- Face, Smile, and Scene Detection functions
- Auto-transfer to your smartphone with the GoPro app for quick social media updates
- GPS Performance Stickers display your speed, distance, and location
- Create QuikStories with the GoPro and Quick mobile apps
- Advanced noise suppression actively filters out wind, vibration, and handling noise for crisper, clearer audio quality
- Capture JPEG photos for easier storage, or shoot in raw for the highest quality
GoPro and Quik apps allow you to access and edit your GoPro footage with simple-to-use yet powerful functions. QuikStories combines the functionality of both apps, automatically downloading GoPro footage from your HERO8 Black and composing an easily shareable montage of your adventures on the spot.
Use your iOS or Android device to live-preview and play back shots, control your GoPro, and share on the fly
- Live preview makes it easy to frame the perfect shot
- Get full remote control of all camera functions
- Share photos and videos to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and more
GoPro Quik (iOS/Android)
Edit videos with just a few taps
- Analyze your photos and video clips to find great moments
- Add transitions and effects, and sync everything to the beat of the music
- Customize your story with text, filters, music, and more
GoPro Quik | Desktop (Mac/Windows)
Import and edit your videos with just a few clicks
- Transform your footage into edited videos synced to music
- Automatically import your photos and videos and share your best shots
- Comes bundled with GoPro Studio for more advanced editing
In The Box